Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Breakfast in Duet: Slim Goodies and Horn's

In case there is any confusion, let us get this straight:

I love breakfast.

Any day of the week, any time. Give me eggs, bacon, grits, French toast, biscuits, waffles, and more bacon. Probably nothing makes me happier than seeing the words Breakfast Served All Day printed across a door or menu. Yes, this obviously applies to brunch as well, and I’ve already made my feelings about that quite clear.

So it’s a bit surprising it took me this long to get around to the local staple that is Slim Goodies diner. I guess it doesn’t help that their summer hours put them closing at two, and my mornings seem to start later and later. But it’s not all too hard to get my motivated to grab a plate of hot breakfast, so I decided to saunter on down while I could still say “Good morning” and have it be applicable.

Winging it down Magazine Street



The place is known for sporting a comfy, hole-in-the-wall diner atmosphere, with retro fixtures and Polaroids of locals, staff, and regulars papering the walls over the tables.

I sat at the bar overlooking the grill on the line and listened to the Creedence Clearwater Revival album play while I waited for my order, an Orleans Slammer. This hashbrown concoction, which the menu describes as “a hangover chaser extraordinare,” was definitely an impressively full plate, mixed with the house chili, melted cheddar, and two of the best strips of bacon I’ve had in months. Oh, and topped with eggs, of course.

Heaping on the love



The service was quick and friendly, despite the lazy summer heat of the day. Do note, however, that this is a cash-only establishment, so you should come prepared.

Slim Goodies Diner on Urbanspoon

Bonus Brunch: Horn’s


Slim Goodies is not owner Kappa Horn’s only culinary venture in NOLA. Earlier this year she opened the eponymous Horn’s in the Marigny, which offers breakfast/brunch, lunch, and dinner in the down-home style.

I had the chance to grab brunch at Horn’s on a rainy Saturday morning shortly after I moved to New Orleans. The restaurant had just opened up on the former site of La Peniche, and neighbors as well as denizens from other parts of the city were still only beginning to check it out.
Brunch makes rainy days a little less gray
                                 

I’d never made it out to La Peniche, but from all accounts Horn’s remolding improved the decor, making the space cheerful and airy with a few quirky, rustic touches such as mounted guns and wagon spokes. On a day with better weather, the sidewalk seating would have been lovely.

After the requisite mimosa, I ordered the Grits & Daube Creole, and my friend ordered the Grits & Etouffee. Just a grits kind of day, I suppose, which is not entirely unheard of in my realm.
Foreground: Daube Creole & Background: Etoufee

                                 

Both the slow cooked beef and the etoufee topping the dishes were appropriately rich and flavorful, though the grits themselves lacked a certain “oomph.”

All in all, would definitely like to stop by and check out some of their other brunch items, but I’m also interested in taking a few bites from their lunch and dinner menu. Alas, until we meet again!
Horn's Eatery on Urbanspoon



No comments:

Post a Comment