Friday, June 6, 2014

Happy Hour: Sunset on Magazine

One of the best parts of taking a summer happy hour prowl down Magazine is seeing all the sandwich boards lined up in front of the bars and restaurants. They stretch down the street into the distance, beckoning their sly happy hour drinks and noshes. Decisions, decisions! The sultry heat breezes may fight the blasts of A/C from stalwart doorframes, but we all know who is going to win there, too.

As my dear Oscar Wilde said, “I can resist everything except temptation.” And of course I graciously went along with the wiles of happy hour, spending not one but two golden afternoons this week at GG’s Dine-O-Rama (formerly Gott Gourmet Cafe). Their “Sunset on Magazine” special runs 4-7 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and features daily rotating drink specials as well as $5 appetizers.

I’m not big on the kind of kitsch their design and menu headings seem to be employing, but if you’ve got the kitchen to kick the ass of categories like “Snack-O-Rama” and “Fork And Awesome”, I’m willing to give my blessing.

Started off Round One (Wednesday) with the drink special for the day, Sangria. Not as heady as I’m used to with sangrias, and definitely not as sweet. But quite refreshing, and snacking on the apple chunks at the bottom of the glass is a tasty pop.

Sangria: Putting the "gold" in "golden hour"



Then, upon me did descend a plate of fried artichoke hearts with a side of truffle aioli, and yeay, it was good. But I had to try another plate again the next day, for quality and fact-checking purposes.

Fried Artichoke Hearts and Shrub Lemonade

Yep, still pleasing. I peeled off and ate one aioli-dredged leaf at a time to get the whole, glisteningly crunchy effect.

For Round Two, I also got the Thursday drink special, a $5 Basil & Meyer Lemon infused gin lemonade.  That’s a summer drink I can really sink my gullet into (or is it vice-versa?). Light, with a hint of carbonation and a dollop of sweetness mellowed out by the basil.

Also tried out the Chicken Verde Nachos, which pretty straightforwardly fit the description implied by “Snack-O-Rama”, I do believe. You can drizzle cheese sauce and pile fixins on pretty much anything and call me a happy girl, but you better believe I dragged some of those chips through the last of that aioli. I regret nothing.

Chicken Verde Nachos
                                            
All in all, a worthwhile little venture. Patio seating with a nice spray of mist from the awning, so that if you choose to brave the glare of late afternoon sun, as I did, you can watch the pulses of Magazine life trickle by.





GG's Dine-O-Rama on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Hi Anne,

    Your first post just appeared on Urbanspoon! Check it out:
    https://www.urbanspoon.com/r/57/763302/restaurant/Garden-District/GGs-Dine-O-Rama-New-Orleans

    I encourage you to claim your blog, which allows you to add a picture and change some settings. The blog photo shows up next to your posts wherever they appear on Urbanspoon. Here's how to claim:

    - Make sure you're logged into Urbanspoon

    - Go to your blog page on our site: https://www.urbanspoon.com/br/57/13302/New-Orleans/The-Mamzelle.html

    - Click "Claim your blog" in the left sidebar

    After you submit it, we may contact you to verify your claim. Check your spam email folder if your claim hasn't gone through in a day or two. You'll also find some interesting badges and widgets on your Urbanspoon blog page - look in the right sidebar.

    If you have any questions, please contact me via email.

    Thanks,
    Greg

    www.urbanspoon.com

    --
    greg(at)urbanspoon(dot)com

    ReplyDelete