Tuesday, June 3, 2014

She listens like spring and she talks like June, hey hey

Yes, those would be Train lyrics in the post title, in honor of the month and the Drops of Jupiter red blend that apparently the lead singer created and I am imbibing.

Pictured here with dinner prep. Yes, I was singing the song all evening.

Says Train-singer-cum-wine-maker Jimmy Stafford, "I don't have a particular favorite wine, but I'll never turn down a great red." All right, guy. Close enough. And on sale at my nearest Rouse's.

Anyway, looks like there are a good few events to hit up amongst the hustle and hub-bub of New Orleans this week. Here's a handful I'm aiming for:

  • This week (5/2-5/8) is Negroni Week! Though the cocktail has never struck a particular chord in me before, I'm willing to give it another try, especially when local venues add their unique flair. Heaps of bars and restaurants around town are participating, many contributing a portion of proceeds from Negroni sales to charity (predominately the New Orleans Musicians Foundation). A fairly extensive list of down-to-Negroni bars can be found in this article.

  • Sunset on Magazine is held at GG's Dineorama Tuesdays-Fridays from 4-p.m. I'm always ready to oblige a good happy hour, and this does not look to disappoint. Gourmet small plates for $5 and rotating drink specials--I'm holding out for the Sangria. 

  • The final Blood Jet Poetry Reading of the Spring Season, with excellent wordsmiths Brett Evans and Christopher Shipman. Last chance to catch this lovely series until September! At BJs in the Bywater at 8 p.m.

  • Getting Hi-Fi with Vixens & Vinyl on Wednesday(s) at Spitfire! Lovely ladies and vintage tunes, what could be better? Oh yeah, there's no cover.

  • DIAL YR DREAMZ at the New Orleans Poetry Brothel Poetry Hotline this (and every!) Thursday from 8-12 CST. Denizens of the Poetry Brothel--including yours truly--will be waiting to whisper sweet everythings into your ear. 

  • The Annual Creole Tomato Festival is this Saturday and Sunday (5/8-5/9) at the French Market, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Fresh tomatoes, recipes (samples, please!) and live music make for a fun set-up to hang out in the Quarter this weekend.

  • It's Always Sunny in Burlesque: The Nightman Cometh runs this Friday and Saturday (5/7 & 5/8) at 11 p.m. at the Shadowbox Theatre. I'm not sure I even need to say anything else about this besides the title, but this threatens to be the highlight of my week. From the same ensemble that put on the phenomenal Arkham ASS-ylum, this show sold out before I could get in last week. Tickets are $10, I would strongly suggest purchasing ahead of time!

No comments:

Post a Comment